Saturday, December 31, 2011

WELCOME TO MY BLOG!


Happy HAPPY New Year in advance to everybody and welcome to my new blog, Instant Rewind! Tales from the Savvy Senior! I am so excited to be here and I can't wait to start sharing my daily encounters with you! My blog will cover any and all newsworthy craziness I stumble upon along with many colorful photos and anecdotes. I'll feature a lot of ways to save money and ways to take advantage of all the things that being a senior citizen has to offer. I will be posting my blog every evening at approximately 5 PM, E.S.T, so I can get in a full day of adventures! I still have a lot to learn about how to tweak this blogger site and try to make it really pop! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
About me...I'm like Eloise, the fictional little girl who lives in The Plaza Hotel in New York City...except that I'm not a little girl and I live in an old Victorian house in the middle of downtown Detroit! I do, however, get into a lot of trouble while trying to just live my life! I'll talk to anybody, anywhere, and I think I'm smarter than the average idiot! I like to help people and I just love to have  fun. I am a full time student at Wayne County Community College District-Downtown, where I know I am the oldest person on campus, not including the instructors. I have a 4.0 GPA and I am Phi Theta Kappa. I am planning on getting my Associates Degree in Human Services/Mental Health, in June 2013. Yay me! I love children and animals and it's not unusual for me to scold mean mothers who are smacking or yelling at their kids in public places. I brake for strays...stray animals AND stray humans! Just yesterday, I made a U-turn in the middle of Gratiot near 7 Mile Road to pick up the carcass of a little dog that had been run over and killed. It was black and furry and a Pomeranian or something. It hadn't been dead that long, but not one single person would pull over on a side street and walk back to get that little dead body off the street. I put it on the grass and said a prayer over it. Poor little thing. I looked on Craigslist and there was no one missing a little black dog...another casualty of living in the "D". I even braked in the middle of 11 Mile Road in Royal Oak once to pick up  a dead cat, but I actually SAW the whole thing go down. The driver of the car just hit the cat and drove away! Can you imagine EVER doing something like that! How heartless. I even picked up a DUCK that had just been hit by a car and moved it to a nice resting place under a tree. God has been good to me in allowing ME to not have been hit by a CAR...thus far! I don't like to see suffering and I when I get my degree, I will go forward into the world to see if I can do some good somewhere in the field of Human Services! In the meantime, I will have to keep eking out a living as a real estate agent for Keller Williams, the best real estate company in the world!
My induction to Phi Theta Kappa 12/06/2011
I'll be 62 years-old on February 6th and I plan on taking my social security on that very day! I will  run wild in the streets with that extra $240 a month! Just you wait and see! I didn't plan very well for my financial future and  I may have to rely on the kindness of strangers! Any takers? I've been rich and I've been broke for most of my life, but I am an expert at living large and on the cheap! My 41 year-old daughter, Cara, and I, have made careers out of shopping at thrift stores and I always look like a million without hardly spending a dime! I have excellent taste and a knack for finding every kind of thrift store treasure. Abercrombie and Fitch, Burberry from LONDON, vintage Ralph Lauren, Prada and more! It's what I do! Even if I won a bunch of money on the lottery, I'd probably still shop at thrift stores...it's just too much fun! Retail shopping makes me nervous!

Vintage Mod 1960's Mini Dress 12/14/2011
 And last but not least, I do have a very kind and patient husband. The eminently world famous artist, Carl Lundgren. He'll be 65 years-old in July! We've been together since we met in 1967, when he stood in the doorway of my college campus apartment. He had come to pick up one of my roommates to take her out on a date and I fell hopelessly and madly in love with him. At first sight! He thought I was hopelessly and madly insane, but all these years later, he knows it was the best thing that ever happened to him! Kismet! Fate! We were meant for each other. He's not the best money-making business person in the world either, but together we've managed to live a pretty nice life, largely due to our wonderful friends! So what if we've had to move 24 times in six different states staying one step ahead of the bill collectors. It's what has made us the interesting people we are today (I think)! Artists! Creative types! And really savvy senior citizens! People tend to find us  amusing. Hey! Whatever works!

Sweet Carl Lundgren and me at Mario's Detroit-12/23/2011
I have a few plans for celebrating New Year's Eve tonight. I have a group of friends who are musicians and they are all playing in their bands around town. I can afford a small cover charge but most of the shows are free! I really want to go to a place called Cafe d'Mongo Speakeasy in Detroit. It looks amazing on the web! And there is this new place in Detroit called Sugar House that looks pretty interesting as well, but I hear its all booked up for the night. I've been invited to a house party, where the guests will be significantly younger than me. I'll have a good time there no what happens! I am also going over to another house party to celebrate with some dear friends who ARE more my age! How am I ever going to fit this all in before midnight?

 I am really looking forward to closing out 2011 and ushering in a brand New Year. I know we say this every year about the New Year, and it always seems to have its ups and downs, but 2012 is going to be bigger and better than ever. Have fun tonight and be safe.


Non-Alcoholic Drink Recipes! I don't plan on drinking (too much) alcohol tonight so these recipes looked good!


Tomorrow's blog will be filled with the ongoing saga of tonight! Until then...peace.





No comments: