Thursday, January 5, 2012

DO UNTO OTHERS...and no, I am NOT Mother Teresa...


I was all full of self-pity yesterday because of my slip and fall from the day before...and I was tired. My rickety old carcass was pretty beat up and I needed the extra sleep to help it heal. My neck hurt and the effects of the pain killer had worn off overnight...and then the telephone rang at 9:15 AM...

I am in college right now, planning to get my Associates Degree in Human Services. The field of Human Services has always been around, but it was never really recognized as full profession until just lately. Let me explain. As I learned in my last semester, Human Services is when anybody lends assistance and helps somebody in need There are three categories of a Human Service worker, the indigenous worker, the para-professional, and the professional. The indigenous worker has no professional credentials, but can provide help through sharing their life's experiences. An example would be a former drug addict working in an environment where they can contribute by actually knowing what it's like to be a recovering drug addict. The para-professional is someone who is a step above the indigenous worker in that they work closely with a professional, making appointments, running errands etc,. The professional human service worker is someone who has completed a level of education and is either certified or has a college degree. And that is the level of expertise I am trying to accomplish. WEBSITE FOR DESCRIPTION OF HUMAN SERVICE WORKERS

So my cell phone rings and I see that it is a person I had given my number to a while back and I told her to call me if she ever needed help. This was a young woman who I taken a liking to because she was smart and beautiful and trying very hard to overcome her addictions and get her life back on track. She had been clean and sober for a while, but she was still fragile and vulnerable. Her husband was losing his grip and had gone back to "using", and she was now faced with trying to remain stable for herself, and for her five-year-old boy. She told me stories about having to pawn her belongings and so much more. She didn't have a close relationship with her mother.  She told me on the phone that her husband had been arrested a few days earlier and had been put in jail for driving on a suspended license. Her only form of transportation was in the impound lot, way and the heck out in northern Oakland County. She asked if I could pick her and the boy up at an address in a really crummy part of Detroit...and my heart just sank. The only reason she would ever be in that neighborhood might be drug related, but who was I to judge. Of course I said yes and asked Saint Carl to drive me in case anything might go wrong....

We pulled up in front of the shabby duplex and they got in. I am not an expert, but it appeared to me that she might have been "hung over" or maybe just very "sleepy". They got in the front seat of the truck and squished in beside me.  I was quick to observe that the little boy had the sniffles, his jacket was dirty, and when I loosened the jacket, his clothing was dirty as well. My first concern was that he might be hungry, and he said that he was. I suggested that we stop at a drive-thru, but his mom asked if she could have the money instead because her car might be out of gas. She didn't ask for the impound fee or anything else...just if she could borrow ten bucks to get home. Carl kept nudgeing me with his elbow in my sore ribs! You know, that "nudge" that implicates a "what have you got yourself into now"! I made Carl stop at a convenience store anyway and I bought the boy a donut and some sugar juice...well, that's what he wanted and I don't think it was the appropriate time for me to give them a lecture on eating healthy! It was all I could do to help.

As the mother took care of getting her car released, me and Carl and the little guy sat in the truck playing tic-tac-toe. We took a picture of "Mr. Carl" (I let him push the button).  And then "Mr. Carl" took a picture of us.

Saint "Mr. Carl"!
Of course I am worried for this family, but I know she had an appointment with Child Protective Services that afternoon as she took a call while we were driving. I believe she truly loves her son. I guess there isn't much else I can do right now. In an earlier blog post of mine, I told you all I brake for strays...animals AND humans.

Now you get the picture that is worth more than words can describe.

Love.

Peace.







5 comments:

stasia said...

You are such a blessed soul. I wish only the best for this mother and her boy.

Cara said...

I'm crying!

Michele Lundgren said...

I told you! I am so blessed that I have been given this gift...xo

Leo B said...

This is pretty heavy. Sad to think that that $10 is not going for gasoline...

Michele Lundgren said...

Oh Leo, I pray that it is.