Monday, January 2, 2012

IT'S STILL A HOLIDAY!

Just when I thought it was over, I realized that today is still considered a LEGAL holiday! It seemed like the time just flew by from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, and yet, we have ONE MORE DAY OF IT! So, today will officially be known henceforth as  "Pack Up Christmas Decoration Day"! The "stuff" in the picture below is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg and does not include the tree, the outdoor decorations and garlands and greenery I leave up through the entire month of January!
Say "CHEESE"!

Regarding the New Year's responsibility of making resolutions, today is the first day that I will be surely tested on mine. My resolution is to stop shopping at thrift stores! The unfortunate part about that is, today is half off day at all Metro Detroit Salvation Army stores. That just stinks! But I am serious about trying to save money for my "old age"! I counted in my closet ELEVEN winter scarves! I have so many woolen sweaters I could wear one a day for the next three months! And pants and skirts and accessories! My house is filled with bric-a-brac! I even made friends with some volunteers from The Red Kettle Brigade over Christmas. I told them I couldn't put any money in the kettle because I had already spent it all shopping at the Salvations Army stores. I told them I shopped at ALL of them. Then, they started to quizz me! I was able to name and tell the location of almost every store in metro Detroit including Ann Arbor!

Michele and her new friends-Eastern Market, Detroit!


So, I had to simply draw the line and just quit shopping. Cold turkey. I am going through serious shopping withdrawal now! I will take all the money I'll be saving and put it in a jar and hopefully by the end of 2102,  I'll have saved enough to take a real vacation or maybe even buy a new used car! But you know how resolutions go, so I am counting on YOU to remind me! If you see me out and about anywhere NEAR a Salvation Army or a Value World, you have my permission to call me out on it! I need help!

This is pitiful.







                                                                            

1 comment:

Cara said...

I still need you to come with me so I can get your "senior discount"!! Then you will surely be tested... maybe just set a limit of $10- per trip!