Tuesday, January 31, 2012

SURRENDER TO THE DAY...great expectations await you!


Our Recreational Leadership instructor, Ms. Davis, told the class about an experience she once had where she allowed a day in her life to “just happen”! Ms. Davis described how she let herself surrender to what ever was going to happen and that she would try and enjoy that to the fullest. Our assignment was to do the very same thing, surrender to a day, and keep a journal of our experiences. Here is my account of Saturday, January 28, 2012.


On Friday, January 27th, I was busy all day. I had a class from 2 PM until 5 PM, and then I had to throw an anniversary party for my friends that kept me up until almost midnight. I was exhausted and I had to be up at 6:30 AM on Saturday! When Saturday morning rolled around I remembered my commitment to “surrender to the day”, and that is exactly what I did. It was still dark outside when I woke up, but as the minutes ticked by, the sun slowly rose and I felt the early dawn turn into daylight! I hadn’t experienced a sunrise in quite a while and it was very surreal!


My husband and I were committed to work in a mall art show, selling our wares. I would normally be very disgruntled by not having had enough sleep, but I was going to look for synchronicity! Although it was a lot of hard work starting to unload our truck, when I walked into the mall area that was to be our location, I heard birds chirping! I looked up to the ceiling and there was a huge, circular glass paneled skylight where sunlight was streaming in. Somehow, birds had managed to get into the mall and set up housekeeping in the skylight above! It was such a pleasant surprise that I may have missed if I had not started my day in a new frame of keeping my mind open to possibilities.

As the day went on, I tried to keep a positive outlook. Although I felt very groggy and wanted to take a nap, I remained happy and polite to my customers. A woman engaged me in a short conversation and I said the obligatory, “Have a nice day”! To my astonishment she said something I will never forget. This wonderful woman said, “Thank you, you have already made it that for me!” Had I not been open to all the day could offer me, I might have missed this very meaningful encounter, and for that I am grateful.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Michele I enjoy your blog so much, truly. Love knowing your insides and love and care about you tremendously.
Donna

Michele Lundgren said...

Thank you, Donna, for being my friend. xo

Blue Cantenelli said...

That has me thinking, I'm going to try this. I can only aspire to be that way each and everyday! I need to practice letting the little things not throw my whole day off. After all, only we are responsible for how our day goes. We have a choice:)