Sunday, February 19, 2012

IF I COULD CHANGE THE WORLD...One person can make a difference.


 

Definition of 'Catalyst'
Something that initiates or causes an important event to happen.



When asked to define what is my role in humanity, I could choose no other word or description for myself other than ‘catalyst’. I am a provocateur, an arbiter of change. Highly sensitive, acutely intuitive, I feel deeply for my surroundings and the people and things that live there. Given the opportunity, I would try to eliminate hunger, poverty, ignorance and pain. Realizing my limitations, I will still strive to “help heal the world”!

There is no better time and place to be alive than now, in the present, in The United States of America. I can think of no greater blessing than to have been born a healthy woman with the capacity to learn and grow. I have sixty-two years of experience and I have seen many changes in my lifetime, mostly good but unfortunately, some bad. In previous college classes that I have attended, we studied what is known as “the paradox of progress”. Through the miracles of science we have cured disease, invented time-saving machinery, and we have more choices now than ever. Unfortunately, these amazing technologies have also made us much less aware of our own humanity. We are all in such a hurry that we have become rather selfish, ignoring the plight of our fellow man, especially those who really cannot help themselves. We turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to the mentally ill, the homeless, the children and the stray animals. We remain frightened of anyone who is not like us, the disabled, the recovering drug addicts, the men and women who have been incarcerated and now are living in the mainstream population. We are just too busy to be concerned with anything that seems to not benefit us directly.

As a catalyst of change, I am keenly aware of my surroundings and I have taken many steps to help make things better in my community. I don’t need someone to tell me that food banks are depleted before I initiate a food drive. I am not afraid to pick up abandoned animals off of the street and try to find them new homes. When seeing someone struggling with small children, I will offer to help. If I suspect that a street panhandler really is hungry, I will help him find a meal. I don’t expect people in my community to clean up the garbage that is strewn about the streets, I’ll do it by myself if I have to. I will lead by example to help right the wrongs of the world.

There have been times that I have felt self-pity and unappreciated, but my true nature is that I cannot stand to see humanity suffer, so I persevere. Do I have an ulterior motive? Probably! I would like to see the world become a better place for all of us to live in! Who would not want to reduce crime or eliminate hunger and the pain of the impoverished? If I could make everyone even half as happy as I am, I would be guaranteed that my role as a humanitarian has been a success.


I have been very lucky. The opportunity for me to attend college and receive my Associates Degree in Applied Sciences-Mental Health has been a long time coming. I am now in a position to use my education and new-found perspective on life to help others around me who are less fortunate. If I won the lottery today that would indeed be a huge catalyst for change, but I would still want to heal the world!

THIS A COLLEGE PAPER THAT I HAVE JUST WRITTEN BUT I HAVE YET TO TURN IN.

No comments: