Wednesday, April 25, 2012

SENIOR DAY...At the DETROIT ZOO!




                                                      THE DETROIT ZOO!

 Oh boy! What a beautiful day for a trip to The Detroit Zoo! All because my darling husband paid attention to the local TV news! When Carl heard that all senior citizens could get into the zoo (and hopefully out again), for free and with free parking, his little mind started planning our big adventure. 

Planning a big adventure requires a stop at Sonic Burger.

Wow. This band is really old.
  

Senior Citizen Day at The Detroit Zoo was a blast! The zoo had planned all sorts of activities that they thought seniors might enjoy including a band consisting of seniors playing old music from the 1940's, a big tent filled with local companies promoting healthcare and retirement homes and assisted living for seniors, and of course, what would a "senior citizen day" at the zoo be without, BINGO! Yep. They had a BINGO tent! Hey, I wanted to stay and play but Carl insisted that we go and see the animals!  And just like some of the "seniors", a lot of the animals were asleep! Heck, it was warm and sunny and they had their breakfast and now they needed at nap. At noon. Wait a minute, just like Carl usually does!


  
 You have to remember that Carl and I are both native Detroiter's, born and bred. He in 1947 and moi, in 1950. We both started going to "The Zoo" way back in the mid-1950's. Carl told me that his parents always took him to the zoo. Of course! They could afford to do that! He was an only child! I was the oldest of five children and thank God for the Brownies and the Girl Scouts! If not for being a member of the Girl Scout organization, I probably wouldn't have seen a thing or went anywhere! All I can remember about "back then" is that were hoards of children traipsing through the zoo...the scout troops, the grade schools, and dozens and dozens of yellow buses unloading hundreds of kids. Every square inch of The Detroit Zoo site was filled with kids and their chaperones. It seemed so enormous and always so busy! There just wasn't any room on the 1950's lifetime calendar for a "Senior Citizen Day"!


Today's "senior citizen" isn't much like the old timers from back in the 1950's. In the 1950's you looked and acted old at age 40! Although the zoo today did have a fair share of seniors that were wheel-chair bound, the rest of us had grand-kids in tow and we were bookin' over that 100 acre site! Carl and I saw everything from one end of the zoo to the other end of the zoo including the Polar Bears! My favorite animal was the Red Panda! It really was red! Sort of! I loved that little Red Panda so much that I made Carl buy me a stuffed version of it at the gift shop! I mean, where else could I buy a little replica of a Red Panda if not at the zoo gift shop! We also loved the Giant Anteater! It doesn't eat giant ants, it's just giant sized! And who doesn't like an Indian Macaque and their cute little bald behinds! Being older gave us a whole new perspective on visiting the zoo! We could just be kids again and nobody would give a hoot!

Me and my new little pal. The Red Panda! I named her ZOE!


Carl and I are like the Macaque...we're always picking on each other!

Carl's little buddy the Prairie Dog! What's up dude?
I kept trying to make this Brown Bear wave to me but he wouldn't. 
Well, all in all, Carl's idea to go to the zoo really paid off. We spent three whole hours walking outside in the beautiful fresh air and we didn't yell at each other even once! We were having so much fun it was like a mini vay-cay! When we got back to the truck I was so relaxed. Imagine if we could ever take a real vacation together, like in the Bahama's or someplace romantic! Things could get a lot wilder than the animals we saw today at the zoo! 

TOUCH.

















2 comments:

Leo B said...

Michele, not only was that band old. But I spot at least one local LEGEND. Do you know who he was ?

Michele Lundgren said...

No, Leo! Who is it?