Saturday, May 5, 2012

PERIGEE MOON OF MINE...Keep on Shining!

                                                                                  
Funny story! Last year there was a Super Moon scheduled to rise on March 19, 2011. I have no idea what possessed me to want to go out in the dead of winter to look for a moon, but maybe it was a night that was warmer than usual. I can't remember. However, I was so excited because as old as I am, I had never really paid any attention to the rising of the Super Moon. I thought this would be a good time to run out and see what it was all about! I made plans with my husband, Carl, to be in a really interesting place on the evening when the moon was supposed to rise in the eastern part of the United States. With my puny Sony Cybershot camera in hand, we ventured out into the evening air! I wanted to be near The Detroit River, so we headed over to a little street that runs parallel to the water to scout out a location. Just east of the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit there is a place called Milliken State Park, and the park even has a pretty good sized man-made hill. Or maybe it's a land fill dump site. I don't know, but I thought it was the perfect place to sit and wait for the moon to come up. I say perfect because about ten other photographers with professional cameras and gear were already camped out there as well! 

This is the actual hill! Isn't it great?
So me and Carl and the other shutterbugs politely acknowledged each other from a distance, and kept our eyes glued to the sky. And we waited for our perigee moon to make its nocturnal debut. And we waited...and we waited some more. It must have been a fairly cold night because I remember scurrying back and forth and up and down the hill to sit in the truck with the heater on, all the while making Carl stay on the hill with other guys. I asked him to keep looking up to the heavens and call me if he saw the moon creeping over the horizon! Carl kept trying to convince me that the sky was too cloudy and that we were never going to see the moon anyway! I think, by now, it was getting pretty late. Even I was starting to wonder what was going on. But I wanted to see that darn moon and we weren't going anywhere until I did!

As much as I wanted to stay, I'll admit that I was getting bored with waiting for the moon to rise and Carl was getting hungry. The other photographers on the hill seemed to be giving up as well. One by one, they started to pack up their equipment and climb down the hill. We all kept looking furtively upward from time to to time, but still no sign of the big event! I could sense the dejection in all of us as we communicated our disappointment with an occasional glance to one another. So, when it was time to call it a night,  Carl and I made our way over to our favorite, really crappy and dangerous, I-94 Service Drive all night diner, Clay Super Coney Island. 

The only thing SUPER about THAT night was this!

When we arrived at the diner, there was a bunch of thugs sitting in a car next to us, waiting to pick up their food. I had my Blackberry in my hand as I started to get out of the truck. I still wasn't giving up on seeing that moon. I took a few steps toward the door and as I walked, I looked up to the sky once more. Then, me and my dumb self tripped over a huge, yellow parking curbstone! Ouch!

                                                              CLAY SUPER CONEY!
 
Oh jeez! I had broken my arm several months before and I was just starting to heal. I threw my body into broken arm defense mode and I wiped out on my knee and the palm of my hand! The cell phone went flying! Carl was still getting out on the other side of the truck and as I lay on the filthy glass-strewn concrete, my pants torn and my knee and hand scraped, the guy with the food came out of diner and he was eyeballing my phone! I could see that the thugs in the car were laughing at me and I'm thinking, "WHERE IS MY HUSBAND"! Carl finally 'rounded the front of the truck and exclaimed, "Oh! There you are! I wondered where you went!" I am all bloodied up and in pain laying in a pile of rubble surrounded by "gangstas" and  don't 'cha know it, but at that exact moment the divine Miss Luna peeked out from behind The Russel Industrial Center, as if to mock me!

CURTAIN of NIGHT by CARL LUNDGREN Oil on Board


And now, here it is May 5,2012, and the Perigee Super Moon is waiting in the wings for the curtain of night to open, once again! What am I doing? Don't laugh! I am making plans to go sit on another hill and freeze my butt off, maybe to be taunted with another possible moon no show! Only this year I'm going to be more careful...unless I am a little drunk because after all,  it is Cinco de Mayo!

I am a bonafide MOON-A-TIC!

RISE by CARL LUNDGREN Oil on Board

                                                       


TOUCH.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome story....I think we are all a bit "moon-a-tics"!

Anonymous said...

She is a Karmic Moon!....I wonder what she will bring you tonight...